Mr. Lincoln's Way is an excellent book to teach tolerance and introduce the effects of racism on a child's level. This book journal includes many story elements, as well as a "Diary" where students can step into a characters shoes as they respond to story events. This journal also includes graphic organizers, constructed response writing, vocabulary, and much more!
- Fiction vs. nonfiction
- What do you know about...
During Reading Activities:
-14 specific comprehension questions
- Sketch important life events.
After Reading Activities:
- Character Traits analysis
- Compare and contrast
- Cause and effect
- Friendly letter writing - letter to character
- Reader's response writing prompt - text to self - 3 writing prompts: Write About It, Think about it, Go Deeper (close reading format)
- Book rating pages
- Author's purpose
- Vocabulary cards
- Summing it up - thoughts about what was read
- Important Noun search
-Sketch favorite part.
-Web graphic organizer - facts about character
-Graphic organizer, expository paragraph
-Writing page - expository paragraph
-Beginning, Middle, End graphic organizer
-Story Retelling graphic organizer
-"Step Into Their Shoes" -character writing diary pages
-Main idea graphic organizer
Can be used in whole, small and individual settings. Can be used as individual pages or as a packet.