One of my favorite books to read during the winter is Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater. Here is a great book unit to go along with the book.
This unit includes:
- Specific Teacher's Notes and Directions for Pre-Reading Activities, Implementing Strategies from Comprehension, Vocabulary, and other activities to do with the book.
- Cover for student packet
- List of Suggested Vocabulary
- Over 90 comprehension questions to go along with the book
- Before, During, After Questioning Organizer
- Vocabulary Graphic Organizer
- 2 Character Traits Graphic Organizer
- Story Elements Graphic Organizer
- Make an Inference Activity
- Visualizing the Story Sheet
- Making Connections Organizer
- Figurative Language Activity
- Cause and Effect Organizer
- What's the Message- theme license plate
- Life Cycle of a Penguin Sheet
- Venn Diagram (comparing/contrasting North Pole and South Pole)
- Venn Diagram (comparing/contrasting Movie and Book)
- Answer Key and Examples
*****NOTE: I have an AWESOME PENGUIN UNIT that I have posted that goes along with this unit. It focuses on the nonfiction aspect of reading. It includes many graphic organizers, an adorable penguin glyph, and a penguin research paper activity. If you are interested, you can purchase this unit separately or I offer a bundle that includes both the Mr. Popper's Penguin unit and the Penguin Unit at a discounted price.