This unit consists of a variety of activities to introduce, teach, reinforce, and/or practice the skills embedded in the story, Mr. Putter and Tabby Pour the Tea. The activities can be completed as a whole class, small group, in partners, or in a center. The unit contains:
1. Title, Author, Genre, Skills Posters (copy on card stock)
2. Week 2 Blending Words
3. Phonics poster
4. Spelling word Sorts\Sentence writing
5. Vocabulary poster
6. Vocabulary activities such as drawing, writing, and cut and paste.
7. Questions for the decodable on PayPal site
8. Story note taking organizer for character and setting
9. Three writing activities (writing frame, construction paper writing activity, art/writing}
10. Comprehension practice
11. Formative or Summative Assessment practice
Students have the opportunity to practice life skills through phonics, spelling, vocabulary, comprehension, writing, and art activities. The unit designed addresses the following Common Core Standards:
R1.0 Students understand the basic features of reading.
R1.1 Students recognize and use knowledge of spelling patterns.
R2.2 Students state tell what information is sought from the reading.
R2.5 Students restate facts and details in the text to clarify and organize ideas.
R2.8 Students follow two-step written directions.
R3.0 Students read and respond to literature. They distinguish between the structural features such as character, setting, and plot.
W1.0 Students write clear and cohesive sentences and paragraphs that develop a central idea.
W1.1 Students group ideas and maintain a consistent focus.
W1.4 Students revise original drafts.
WOC1.1 Students distinguish between complete and incomplete sentences.
WOC1.5 Students use quotation marks correctly.
LS1.0 Students listen critically and respond appropriately to oral communication.
LS1.4 Students give and follow three-step directions.