PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This cookbook and activity packet were designed as a
mini unit centered around a homemade classroom Christmas
cookbook made of your students’ favorite family recipes. The
cookbooks can be made simply to be added to your classroom
library, but the most popular way of using the cookbooks is to
print off one for each student to take home and give as a
Christmas gift to their families on Christmas.
Some of the activities included in this unit were
made to be completed with the use of the cookbook after it is
made, but can easily be modified to use without the cookbook
simply by having the students research for recipes or
providing the students with preselected recipes from the
internet. (If you choose to do this, it might be a good idea to
post recipe links to your Google Classroom for students to
Included in this download:
• Cookbook Cover
• Christmas Poem to Parents
• 2 Versions – Table of Contents
• One generic
• One for students to write on
• Measurement and Abbreviation Page
• Section Pages for entrees, sides, desserts, appetizers, beverages, and
• 2 Versions of Parent Letter (one full page and one half page)
• 2 Versions of Parent reminder Letter. (one full page and one half page.
• 3 different versions of recipe pages with varying spacing and layouts,
depending on your student needs.
• 1 page without lines that can be used to draw illustrations of recipes, write a
personal letter to parents, etc.
• 1 blank page with primary lines on it for younger students to draw and write
• 1 lined page for narrative, expository, or letter writing.
• 4 Christmas recipes to use with activities or to provide for students whose
family does not send a recipe.
Mini Escape Room
• 4 escape room tasks
• 2 versions of the recipes and sale ads, suitable for grades between 2-5.
(single digit dollars, no decimals and triple digit dollars and cents with
• Recording page
• Certificate for students who escape
Recipe Alliterations page
• Students take recipe names and recreate them using alliterations.
Gingerbread Man Sequencing Writing
• Visual Sequencing of baking a gingerbread man worksheet
• ”How to Make a Gingerbread Man” expository writing
• “Decorate a Gingerbread Man” page for visually sequencing how you would
decorate a gingerbread man.
• “How to Decorate a Gingerbread Man” expository writing
”What Makes a Family”
• Writing activity where students write a recipe telling what all makes up their
• Prewrite page to help students generate ideas
Recipe Scavenger Hunts
• 2 Math (one for grades 2-3 and one for grades 4-5)
• 2 Literacy (one for grades 2-3 and one for grades 4-5)
• 1 Generic “fun” one suitable for any grade.
• Generic language arts task cards that can be used to identify sentence
types, adjectives, prepositions, nouns, and much more.
• Math word problem task cards where students have to solve 2 step problems.
(Blanks have been left for you to write in your own numbers.)
Creating Your Own Graph
• Students survey classmates on their favorite recipe, students record info in
a data table, then create their own graph with the information
• 2 versions – one with graph labels and one without