Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
You love the idea of music street, but it always feels anticlimactic to give them the solfege note name and no story. I've been telling this story to my kids for the last 5 years and finally finished it when I got my first group (shoutout to my 5th graders) to the last notes. One of my kids even teared up saying, "It's the end of an era." They love these characters and have even written their own stories for them. My 4th graders think Grandma La is the coolest ever (and scream appropriately every time we talk about her).
I hope that this story is something your kids will love as much as me and mine do. The story incorporates other musical elements for further teaching, even concepts you may not get to in elementary:
- Steps are graded to represent the major scale (WWHWWWH).
- Do is given an name that shows importance of Do to the scale.
- Pentatonic family is given to Re
- The ledgers, sharps and flats are named as parts of the landscape as well as "grandest hills" to introduce the grand staff.
- Solfege in octaves are related to each other with the exception of Ti.
- Timmy Ti has a leader dog to introduce the idea of leading tone.
Download the preview to see the full story!
I retell the story every time I introduce a new note. I find it helps the kids buy in, the characters come to life and the relationships between notes really stick.
Companion Bulletin Board: Mt. Solfege Bulletin Board
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you. ☺
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store. ☺
Questions? Email me at MrsStouffersMusicRoom@gmail.com