This fun, high interest, multi-step word problem resource will get your students thinking critically and mastering mathematical practices in just minutes a day!
This product includes 6 different multi-step word problems to choose from all connecting to the month of January! Each word problem is broken down into parts so that students can work on the problem in just 5-10 minutes a day throughout the week.
Included in the product:
• Product Overview
• Suggestions for Use
• Word Problem CCSS Overview
• The Eight Mathematical Practices information sheet
• Word Problem of the Week Student “Box” Work Sheet (2 versions)
• Word Problem of the Week Student Work Flip Book
• Word Problem of the Week Mathematical Practices by the Day
• Student Directions by the Day
• Word Problem of the Week printable versions for interactive notebooks (6 pages)
• Answer Key for all parts of each word problem
• Scoring Rubric for Mathematical Practices (2 pages)
Word Problem of the Week PowerPoint Show (6 problems/12 slides)
This 31 page product
contains everything you need to help you help you students become more comfortable and successful at solving word problems and the 8 Mathematical Practices.
Word problems come in three variations:
1. PowerPoint presentation that helps you show just the information you want your students to see each day.
2. PDF – For full color printing or in case you do not have PowerPoint.
3. Black and White ½ sheet printable version easy to use for math journals or interactive notebooks.
Student answer sheets also come in two versions:
1. Full page “Box” answer sheet with boxes for each day of the week.
2. Flip book for interactive notebooks.
The Weekly Plan for Word Problem of the Week:
→ Monday – Make sense of the problem
→ Tuesday – Do the math and model with mathematics
→ Wednesday – check for reasonableness and construct a viable argument.
→ Thursday – Extend your thinking with and extension problem that builds from the previous problem.
→ Friday – Critique the Reasoning of Others – Students look at example student work and judge reasonableness, discuss errors, prove or disprove solutions, etc.
This product was created to use with 4th graders and supports 4th grade CCSS. However, it would also help support older students.
★ Also Available:
Thank you for considering this product! Please take a moment to check out the preview of this product in order to get a better understanding of the content and quality before purchasing. It contains many sample pages, a product overview, suggestions for use, and a look at the 6 word problems included in the product.
♥ If you would like notification about future items posted by Literacy Loves Company, please click the “follow me” button.
All new products are 50% off the first 48 hours after posting.
Other math related products by Literacy Loves Company:
Place Value Task Cards and Scoot
Rounding Numbers to 10,000 Board Game - Rattlesnake Round-up
Naming Fractions Scoot
Graphing and Analyzing Data Poster Set
Force, Motion, and Design S.T.E.M. Unit
**This product is the work of T.Danley of Literacy Loves Company. It is intended to support the implementation of the CCSS. No approval by, nor association with, the creators of the CCSS is intended or implied.
"The Common Core Standards were written and developed by The National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved."