Also included in
- Do you teach 4th or 5th grade reading? This reading resource will be a lifesaver! It includes everything you need to supplement your reading instruction for the included reading skills (see below for the skills included).IMPORTANT - I’m adding new activities to some of the skills this week. As I add$70.00$119.00Save $49.00
Do you need activities and passages for teaching your students to analyze multiple accounts of the same event? This 4th and 5th grade reading resource includes several passages, activities, and other printables to supplement your instruction of multiple accounts.
NOTE: This resource now has Google Slides™ versions, making it ideal for digital distance learning and remote teaching! Please see the 4th page of the PDF for details and the links.
Due to copyrights on firsthand accounts, as well as the readability of such accounts, the firsthand accounts in this resource are .
The texts were written based on research and facts as if the writers had been present. They were written in a way to .
This was done in an effort to protect copyrights and follow laws, as well ensure that the texts were written at an appropriate reading level for 4th and 5th graders.
- Essential Questions
- Graphic Organizers
- Three Sets of Practice Texts
- Small Group Activity - Simple Sorts
- Small Group Activity - Eight half-page task cards with paired texts
As mentioned above, there are THREE sets of practice texts.
Set 1: Short Texts for Introduction - Use these practice texts for introducing and initially practicing the skill. Events are the Great Emu War, the rabbit incident with Jimmy Carter, Barcelona Olympic Torch Lighting, and the moon landing.
Set 2: More Practice - This set of passages includes longer passages with questions for each text and questions that require the students to use both texts.
1. Traveling West
2. Whale Carcass Washing Ashore
3. Transcontinental Railroad
4. Inauguration of Andrew Jackson
5. Atlantic Flight 8
6. Isaac Newton’s Discovery of Gravity
7. The Great Depression (both firsthand accounts)
8. The Titanic (both firsthand accounts)
Set 3: Lengthy Practice - This section includes three paired text sets. The texts included in this set are much longer than the other texts in this resource. Events include Lincoln's Assassination, Tubbs Fire, and Exxon Valdez Oil Spill.
Aligns with RI.5.6: Analyze multiple accounts of the same , noting important similarities and differences in the point of view they represent and RI.4.6 Compare and contrast a firsthand and secondhand account of the same or topic; describe the differences in focus and the information provided.
All of the multiple accounts of the same event activities in this resource are also included in a digital version to be used with Google Slides.
See page 4 of the PDF for the links to copy the digital reading activities to your drive.
Check out the video preview to see what the digital multiple accounts of the same event activities are like.
***This resource is included in my 4th and 5th Grade Reading Bundle. You can view the Reading for 4th and 5th Grade bundle by clicking here.
More Reading Activities for Teaching Multiple Accounts of the Same Event: