Math word problems are a vital part of the math learning primarily because they show how math concepts apply to real world situations. They provide meaningful answers to the time-honored question, “Why do we need to know this?”
Additionally, math word problems engage students in higher level thinking. They require students to do more than simply look at numbers and symbols and perform calculations. They must work strategically and think logically.
The 32 task cards that follow are designed with these purposes in mind.
-32 Task cards with multiplication and division word problems that involve equal groups, arrays, and measurement quantities
-Anchor chart with targeted strategy and steps for solving word problems
-Student response sheet
1. Print, cut, and display task cards around the classroom.
2. Copy and distribute student response sheet.
3. Share anchor poster with suggested strategies for problem solving, and walk through first example.
4. Allow students to work individually or in pairs to complete the activity.
5. For students to receive immediate feedback, check work as a group or allow students to check work individually using the answer key included.
Any and all feedback is welcome!
10% minimally of all proceeds from this sale will be donated to the cause that unites us all as teachers: helping youth prosper. Donations are made to well-researched and fiscally responsible charities.