Included is –
• Multiplication Folding Activity– 0-12 times table.
(13 questions per column with no repeats)
• Multiplication Mad Minutes – 0-12 times table.
Direction for Multiplication Folding Activity:
Explain to students that they are going to see how many questions they can answer in 25 seconds. (The amount of time you give is up to you.) Students will only do one column at a time. If they finish the column before time is up tell them to check their work over.
The objective is for students to increase the amount of questions that they correctly complete. Even if it’s 1 more question correct than the last column that is success.
1. Tell students to put their pencil on column one. Think of the answer for the first question.
2. After 25 seconds say stop, pencils down. Say aloud the multiplication sentence and the product aloud as a whole class. Students can check their work over.
3. After column one is complete. Fold behind on the line so that they cannot see their answers. Put pencil on column 2. Think of the answer for the first question.
4. After 25 seconds say stop, pencils down. Say aloud the multiplication sentence and the product aloud as a whole class. Students can check their work over.
5. Fold column 2 behind so that they cannot see anymore. Repeat for columns 4 and 5.
I also do Multiplication Mad Minutes with my class to help reinforce basic multiplication facts. Every day my students write a mad minute test (20 questions in 1 minute). If the student passes within the 1 minute time, they go on to the next multiplication fact and earn a piece for their multiplication pizza. The fun part is the kids LOVE it and cannot wait to try and get their next piece of the multiplication pizza. (I’ve also seen this down with icecream!)