PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This activity is a great way for students to develop their understanding of multiplying 2x2 digit numbers. It can be used as a standalone activity, or in Math centers. It can be used as a set of task cards, or as a variety of games. It helps deepen understanding of this concept by using arrays that represent base ten models.
This resource includes:
· A set of cards in black and white
· A matching set of cards in colour
· A worksheet which students can use to record how they matched the cards during this activity
In this activity, students will match arrays that represent base ten models to a choice of:
· The multiplication sentence being represented (without a product)
· The multiplication sentence being represented (with a product)
· The product alone
· Or any combination of the above you wish to use.
For example, you could match the visual array to either:
· 13 x 21
· 13 x 21 = 273, or
Options for using this resource:
· Task cards – students match the arrays to the multiplication sentences and/or products
· Memory game – students could place all cards face down, turning pairs of cards over at a time to try to find arrays and the corresponding multiplication sentences/products
· Go fish – students could ask a partner if they have a certain array or multiplication sentence in order to form matching pairs