Multiplication Strategies - UPDATED JANUARY 2016
Need help teaching your students strategies for learning their multiplication facts from 0 - 9? Then this unit contains the following helpful tools to help your students be successful at mastering their basic facts.
- Colored Strategy posters which can be displayed in your classroom after you teach each strategy. Based on the multiplication strategies found in Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics Grades 3-5 by John A. Van de Walle and LouAnn H. Lovin.
Strategies included are:
Double and one more set,
Half and Double,
Add One More Set,
The Order (Commutative)
Zeros and Ones.
- A printer friendly version of the same posters without colored backgrounds so they use less colored ink.
-Flash cards containing visual cues to help students learn the facts for Doubles, Fives Facts, and Nifty Nines.
- A "My Multiplication Strategy Booklet" which can be used to help students practise each strategy as it is introduced.
- A multiplication strategy sort activity to help students learn the different strategies.
- A "Fact Name Game" to use with your whole class to assist with learning the basic facts.
-One page "Multiplication Strategy" reference sheet which students can use as a visual aid.
- A certificate to give to students at the end of the unit to reward them for their hard work.
- A pre-test to give to find out which strategies students need to work on.