PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
It’s tic-tac-toe with a twist! This game integrates fact recall with strategic thinking…a powerful combination!
2 different colors of markers – 20 for each player - transparent chips work well
1 game board for each pair of players
Note: Game boards are offered for facts from 0-10 and 0-12.
For variation of play, ten game boards are included for each category.
1. To begin, players 1 and 2 each place one of their color chips over one of the factors listed in the factor row on the bottom of the game board.
2. For his/her turn, player 1 may move one of the two factor chips on the factor row to a different factor and then cover the product of those two factors with one of his/her color chips on the tic-tac-toe board.
3. After player 1’s turn, player 2 may move one of the two factor chips on the factor row to a different factor and then cover the product of those two factors with one of his/her color chips on the tic-tac-toe board.
4. Play continues as described above until one player connects 3 (or 4 for more challenging play) of his/her color chips in a row to make a tic-tac-toe.
5. Note: Chips in the factor row can be placed on the same factor. For example, two chips placed on 2 would be 2 x 2 and the player would cover 4 on the tic-tac-toe board.
6. Note: As the game board fills, players may move one chip on the factor row and then not have a product to cover above. Encourage players to think strategically and KEEP ON taking turns until a move is possible!
Developing Mathematical Discourse:
Possible sentence starters to promote reflection and mathematical discourse are included at the end of this book.
Common Cores Standards:
CC.3.OA.1- Interpret products of whole numbers
CC.3.OA.7- Fluently multiply and divide within 100
CC.3.OA.9- Identify arithmetic patterns
This game is a fun and effective way to practice all basic multiplication facts as students strive for fluency!
10% minimally of all proceeds from the sale of this work will be donated to the cause that unites us all as teachers: helping youth prosper. Donations are made to well-researched and fiscally responsible charities. Thank you for your contribution!