Simplify teaching word problems!
It’s no secret that word problems present a challenge to students. Fortunately, there are things we can do that will allow students to develop a deeper understanding of word problems. This resource is designed to give you actionable strategies and lessons to ensure student success with word problems.
- Equal Group Situations-Students complete a table for equal group situations. On rows 1-6, students will determine the missing number in each table. Then on rows 7-10, students will complete the row with the information and numbers of their choice.
- Is It Commutative-Students will see how while the commutative property is effective for solving multiplication facts, it does not always represent the situation or problem correctly. Word problems are not commutative.
- Color Coding-Students will highlight each portion of the word problem. Then, students will look at the information missing to determine how to solve the word problem.
- Writing Equal Group Word Problems-Students write 4-word problems to represent four expressions. Students will also represent the word problem they write with a model of their choice.
- Additive Comparison and Multiplicative Comparison Sort-Students drag the movable word problems to the correct box.
- Writing Additive Comparison and Multiplicative Comparison Word Problems-Students write two additive comparison word problems and two multiplicative comparison word problems.
- Error Analysis-Students identify the error in the solution. However, the error isn’t in the computation-it's in the equation or modeling! There is an optional Peardeck add-on to these questions.