To really grasp multiplication and division students need to be able to explain when they will use these skills in their every day life. One way students can do this is by creating word problems about their own lives where these skills are necessary.
Multiplication and Division Funny Fill-Ins:
(two 2-sided pages for each) Students begin creating their own word problems by filling in a few nouns and adjectives. These pages are perfect for beginners or students that need more scaffolding and are not ready to create problems on their own. These fill in the blank problems also allow the student to feel more involved and are sure to produce some hilarious results and student giggles.
Create-Your-Own Word Problem Whole Group Activity:
This is a fun activity that gets your entire class/grade level involved. Follow these simple directions:
1. Print, cut apart, and distribute to students.
2. Students write their own word problem on question paper. (Two sizes included, print the version that best meets your students’ needs based on how many details they like to include in their word problems and the size of their handwriting).
- 20 problem starters are included. If you have more than 20 students some can work in pairs, if you have less than 20 students have your high-achieving students write more than one problem.
- If you have a small group or have limited time you can use the first 10 problems and the front of the response page only.
3. Hang these around the classroom, down the hallway, etc.
4. Give every student a “Multiplication and Division Response Page”. It can be printed two-sided. Direct students to answer questions in appropriate boxes. This will make it easier when you check their work.
5. Students walk around solving the word problems.
All answer keys included.
Need more Multiplication and Division lessons, check out the following:
Multiplication Strategies Foldable
Properties of Multiplication Foldable
Multiplication Word Problem Activity Cards
Division Strategies Foldable
Multiplication and Division Cooking Word Problems
If you find this product useful please leave feedback below. To follow my store click here and then click on the green Follow Me star at the top of the page.