I created this pack to help my mixed age year 3 and 4 class (3rd and 4th graders) to master their times tables, link their knowledge of multiplication to division and to continue to expand and practice what they know!
I give them a short weekly test (all tests included in this zip) on Monday and they love it! Yes, bizarre that they love tests but it's because they are competing against themselves to keep climbing up the times table ladder!
How the challenge works:
* Display the times table challenge on the wall in your classroom (included in zip). This can be done as a simple display or as a ladder style.
* Print and laminate the children names (font size 20-22 works well with the size of the display posters) and stick on with Blu-Tack.
* Start each child on the 2x table unless you are sure they are fully know it - I was suprised about how many of my 3rd graders still struggled with their 2x table even though they learned it last year!
*Print out the appropriate tests each week (included in zip) and administer a 2 minute challenge. My theory is if children can complete a jumbled up times table test in 2 minutes then they truly know that times table!
*If a child gets all the answers right, they move onto the next level of the challenge. If not, they try again next week.
*Once they've completed their times tables, they move onto division, then mixed multiplication and division, followed by fractions and scaling numbers. Older or more able children could start on one of these sections if their knowledge of times tables is secure and you want to keep testing them and keeping it fresh in their minds!
All of the items within the zip folder are .doc files except for the overview which is a .pdf. The zip folder iteself contains:
1) an overview similar to the one written here with a list of all the tests;
2) printable posters to display for each level (see photo preview for style);
3) all of the tests! This goes from 2x-12x (I omitted the 0x and 1x table), followed by the equivalent division and mixed challenges. Each page has 4 copies of the test so they can be printed and cut up in bulk. Each test has 11 questions and are in a mixed order. Please see the preview file I've uploaded so it's clear what you are getting!
There are several benefits I've found so far:
~I can keep a record of the children who are struggling with a particular times table and give them extra support - this becomes obvious when they've been stuck on a certain times table for awhile!
~It's a great way to assess progress! I record the results on a weekly basis to see which children and flying and which children are struggling.
~It's great for more able / gifted and talented pupils as they can still complete the tests alongside their classmates but doing the mixed challenges is trickier and requires more brain power!
~It works very well if, like me, you have two grades/year groups in one class. I set this up so it could run for two years!
~If you're teaching a single age class and you don't reach the end, it could easily be passed on to the next teacher for them to continue!
~The tests are set up in a mixed order so children do have to think about the answers, rather than just repeating the table by rote.
~Each week, I ask them children to learn their times table as homework. This means parents can help with their learning at home.
~Because the results are displayed on the wall, it reminds children about which times table they should be learning and gives them a sense of achivement that they all started at the bottom of the ladder and are climbing their way up!
I hope you find this product useful and your class succeeds at learning their times tables!