This a great hands on lesson to teach students to multiply fractions with area models. Working hands-on with area models really allows students to understand the concept of multiplying with fractions.
Print the fraction models on overhead transparency film and cut out the squares.
I make one set of fraction transparencies for each pair of students. (Keep them in plastic zip-top bags to stay organized!)
I model how to put the models together with this great online interactive and under my document camera. they need to use transparency squares to solve the equations pages. They draw the models they used and created in the squares using the transparency models as a guide.
This resource includes
►Student Directions for TWO types of activities (full page or half-page option)
►20 Problems for students to use the models to help them draw the models
►20 Expressions for students to match with the area model card
►Use as-is with 4 problems to a page for a worksheet or cut to use as task cards
►Answer keys included
There is one page of fraction models to print onto transparency film. The clear film makes it easy and fun for students to overlap the models to use the area model to multiply fractions.
The student pages are black and white for economical printing. You may choose to print on color card stock for a fun color option. Laminate the cards for durability and you're ready to go!
Questions? email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out more MATH resources from Live Laugh Love to Learn!
• Writing and Interpreting Numerical Expressions Task Cards - 40 Task Cards!
• Word Problem Operations Sort & Solve ~BUNDLE~
• Whole Number Word Problem Operations Sort & Solve
• Read & Respond About Math - BUNDLE
• Read & Respond About Math - Prime/Composite, Factorization, & Multiples - Vol. 2
• Read & Respond About Math -Expressions, Order of Operations, & Patterns - Vol. 1
• Read & Respond About Math - Fractions - Volume 3
• Multiply with Whole Numbers - Differentiated Partner Practice
• Multiply with Decimals - Differentiated Partner Practice
• Fraction Word Problem Operations Sort & Solve
• Division with Whole Numbers - Differentiated Partner Practice
• Division with Decimals - Differentiated Partner Practice
• Digital Writing & Interpreting Numerical Expressions Task Cards
• Addition with Decimals - Differentiated Partner Practice
✅Want to get TPT credit to use on future purchases?
Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Just click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I really appreciate your feedback - it helps me to create better products to suit your classroom needs!
✅Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
Look for the green star
next to my store logo and click it to become a follower
. That's it! You will now receive email updates from my store.