Multiply or Divide? How do you decide? A Sort, Analyze and Solve Activity.
Multiplication and Division of Fraction Word Problems
This lesson will help students make sense of the multiplication and division of fractions word problems. Specifically, students will be given the opportunity to discover how to determine if multiplication or division should be used to solve given word problems.
1. Students classify 10 fraction word problems as multiplication or division problems.
2. The teacher goes over the answers with the students to make sure problems are sorted correctly before moving on.
3. Students look for commonalities in each set of word problems (multiplication and then division) and then write down their observations.
4. Teacher / class discussion occurs about the commonalities.
5. Students solve each problem.
6. Teacher checks student work / answers and addresses any misunderstandings or deficiencies.