This activity, Rivers of the US: A Complete Mural in a Folder, allows 4-6 grade students who are studying rivers of the US, the ability to put everything they have learned about rivers into one visual landscape. These areas of river information , among others, include:
• the people who live along its banks
• the animals who thrive near and in the river
• the various transportation forms that travel the river
• Crises along the river
• the economy of the river
• the physical dimensions of a river
• Ecosystems along the river
• Geographic features along the river
• Occupations along the river
Facts are facts until they come alive. With the River Mural in a Folder, all that is important about a certain river is displaced, visually, and easily, so that students can begin to see the symbiotic relationships that form around rivers and can better understand that a river is more than just water.
This packet contains:
1. A complete lesson plan for presenting/learning about a river in a visual form.
2. Directions and photographs on creating a Mural-in-a-Folder.
3. A list of research requirements students must add to the river project.
4. One Fact Sheet
5. One Self-Assessment Sheet
6. One Formal-Assessment Grading Sheet
7. One copy of a map of the U.S.