An interactive multi-media murder mystery for groups of students that is both engaging and designed to be adapted to any grade. Following the classic manor house mystery genre, the materials here can be used with students of any level for a variety of different skills, including the basics of listening, writing, vocabulary and grammar or more advanced skills such as use of inference and critical thinking. Great for regular writing classes, group work, homework assignment or a fun fill in class.
The main advantage of this resource is that the teacher can mix and match the materials outlined below to work with any class. There are materials for print only, display (slideshow), multimedia classrooms, or student iPad/laptop use. This gives the teacher the flexibility to make a lesson adapted to not just the age or level of the class, but the available technology as well. In addition, there are teacher explanations for each resource.
This resource is also included in a bundle of 3 murder mystery related products here;
Try out my latest murder mystery here;
Murder Mystery 3 - A Winter Murder
me for more lessons like this on my TPT store.
The materials include:
# Due to popular demand, as of Feb 2018 I have added a LoRes downloadable version of the movie and suspect clips to this resource. This is limited for use with your own students, and is not for sharing with others.
1. Six short online videos that can be accessed via PDF print links. One of these is of the murder scene. The other five are suspect alibis.
2. A PDF slideshow that outlines the background to the murder of Mr. John Sanders. It has a link to a short animated video of the murder along with an introduction to the 5 suspects in the house and the clues and evidence found at the crime scene.
3. A plan of the crime scene. (PDF)
4. A useful vocabulary task sheet for use with reading or writing a murder mystery. (PDF)
5. A teacher and student version of an interactive suspect and timeline PDF task sheet. The teacher version can be used in a multi-media classroom or internet connected screen. The student version can be printed out, or used on student iPads or laptops. Both versions have interactive links to videos of suspect alibis and space for notes on a timeline and connecting evidence.
6. Task sheets (PDF) for each of the five suspects that contain a facial image and sections for notes on alibi and motive for each. There are 4 different versions of this for Teacher, younger, older and ESL students. Instructions on use are provided for each.
7. A set of 5 A4 size color images of the suspects that contain Q codes that students can use to access the online video alibis of each suspect.
8. A separate 5 suspect set of motives that can be printed on the reverse of the Q code image cards.
9. A two page comic book extension that can be used with higher level students to demonstrate their writing skills. Each comic displays one of the suspects as the murderer and has sections for students to draw and write in. Great for inference or critical thinking skills. # As of Oct 2017 I have added an editable Word document of the comic so that students can write in textboxes in the comic and mail the result to their teacher. This was done by request and is an experiment. I don't intend to do this for all of the materials.
10. Answer key now included.
11. As of May 2016 added alibi cards to this for those not wishing to use the videos.
# IMPORTANT - Please be aware that one of the clues in this story is a discarded cigarette, so two of the suspects smoke. If this is a problem for your students, please do not buy the product. Alternatively, of course, you could use this point to teach a useful lesson about the evils of smoking, or the different cultural attitudes towards smoking in the 1930`s and the present day ; )
All task sheets are PDF with some providing links to videos.
Similar resources on my store are here;
Murder Mystery-3-A Winter Murder
Murder Mystery-2-Video Story-The-Art-of-Murder
Classic Literature Villains - Textual Evidence Activities
Shackleton and Endurance - Video Lesson
Fossilisation of Trixi Triceratops-Video Lesoon
The Raven - Animated Movie
For other English, ESL or History topics please visit my store.