Are you looking for ways to incorporate centers into your music classes but aren't sure where to start, stuck coming up with ideas, or just don't have the time to put them together? This set of centers for practicing ta rest will give you tons of ideas, printables, and activities to make your centers run smoothly and successfully.
When considering what to include in my centers, I referred back to all of the different kinds of practice that we use in Kodaly. So I have included centers for reading, writing, memory, part work, inner hearing, listening, dictation, composing, and improvising so that students get multiple different ways to practice the same concept. I have also included opportunities for singing, adding instruments, and incorporating technology if you have it available to you.
1) Song Cards: use these song cards for reading, singing, instrument playing, or even part work.
2) Mini Rhythm Workbook: practicing tracing and drawing ta rest. Trace over rhythms from known songs.
3) Memory Game: 4 beat rhythm patterns are written on each memory card. Students turn them over trying to find matches.
4) Song Sorts: Great for inner hearing! Patterns from many songs are on cards. Students put them in the order of the song.
5) Mystery songs: Rhythms for several ta rest songs are on small cards. Students try to figure out as many as they can. Answer slip is included for students to write down their answers. This can be added to their mini rhythm workbook.
6) Rhythm dictation: This set includes flashcards that students can use to read rhythm patterns for their group members to dictate using dry erase boards, Popsicle sticks, or milk caps.
7) Roll a Rhythm: use blocks or foam cubes with rhythms written on each side. Students roll the cubes and notate what they see. This can be added to their mini rhythm workbooks.
8) Empty Measure Game: This game gives your students a chance to improvise for you by filling in the empty beat/beats in the measure with a known rhythm. This activity is perfect for a "teacher led center" which gives you a great opportunity to help and assess each student.
In this set I've also included:
1) Tips for centers in the music room
2) Centers cards
3) Extra centers ideas and student direction cards
4) Teacher and student directions for each center
5) BONUS - Interactive rhythm game that can be used at a technology center such as SMART board, iPads, tablets, etc.