Do you need a set of FUN music composition activities that are sure to be a hit with your students? These Google Slides drag & drop rhythm blocks ensure student success while teaching about note values, meter, form, and lyrics. Students will create 4 different types of rhythm compositions, each building upon the next. Activities may be assigned with Google Classroom.
Click the preview button above to get a better look at this helpful resource.
You may use different lessons with various grade levels or for differentiation within a grade level.
- Google Slides Set 1 | Quarter note/rest, eighth notes
- Google Slides Set 2 | Quarter note/rest, eighth notes, half notes, whole notes
- Google Slides Set 3 | Quarter note/rest, eighth notes, sixteenth notes, half notes
- Google Slides Set 4 | Quarter note/rest, eighth notes, half notes, eighth/2 sixteenth, 2 sixteenth/eighth
**This lesson was designed by a Google for Education Certified Educator | Level 1.
- Meter - 4/4, 3/4, 2/4
- Phrase Form - aaab, abab, abac
- Matching lyrics to rhythm
- Optional student checklists for each composition
- Editable template for customization of student handouts if desired
- Student learning outcomes
- Student learning targets written as simple to understand "I can" statements
- Assessment rubric
- Detailed teacher directions for using lesson
- Suggested teacher tips
- Suggested teaching timeline
- "Learn About . . ." sequences to teach meter, form, and lyrics concepts
- Final project which guides students through composition process incorporating all previously learned concepts.
This interactive lesson may be used as centers, for individual or group practice, or for assessment. This lesson is designed to be extended over four days.
Note: You must have access to Google Slides (online or offline) to use this lesson.
- PowerPoint Set 1 | Quarter note/rest, eighth notes
- PowerPoint Set 2 | Quarter note/rest, eighth notes, half notes, whole notes
- PowerPoint Set 3 | Quarter note/rest, eighth notes, sixteenth notes, half notes
- PowerPoint Set 4 | Quarter note/rest, eighth notes, eighth/2 sixteenth, 2 sixteenth/eighth
- PowerPoint BUNDLE | Sets 1 - 4
If you are looking for sequential music reading lessons using iconic and standard music notation, you may be interested in the lessons below.
- Rhythm Reading Activity BUNDLE
- Music Reading Activity BUNDLE - So, Mi
- Music Reading Activity BUNDLE - So, La, Mi
- Music Reading Activity BUNDLE - Do, Re, Mi
- Music Reading Activity BUNDLE - Do, Mi, So
- Music Reading Activity BUNDLE - Do, Re, Mi + So
Don't forget to leave feedback. You earn TpT credit every time you leave feedback. That pays too!
Thank you and be sure to let me know if have any questions.