Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater serves as an introduction for students to decode rhythms and learn how we group them into measures. Students will study the meter of 2/4, 3/4, and 4/4 through composing and creating.
Included in this File
• Detailed (yet editable) lesson plans for 2nd Grade. State (GA) GPS Standards, National Music Standards, and National Core Arts Standards are marked. Feel free to edit for other grade levels.
• PowerPoint to guide the lesson.
• PDF version of the PowerPoint for you to import into your desired IWB (Absolutely NOT required to complete this lesson!).
• Note Images for PERSONAL use to create your own variations with provided templates.
• Worksheets to help scaffold students to success in demonstrating awareness of measure, meter, bar lines, double bar lines, time signature, and more!
Description of Lesson
• Previous Knowledge: Students should already be introduced to beat vs. rhythm and have beginning knowledge of whole, half, quarter, and sixteenth note (optional) and quarter rest.
• Students recently completed this lesson
(though not a requirement).
• Lesson - Students review beat vs. rhythm using Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater. Then we use pumpkin visuals to group notes into groupings based on a given time signature. We practice identifying pumpkins that have the right and wrong number of beats for a given time signature. Then students are asked to compose their own pumpkin measures and then translate them onto a staff. Additional activities provided to extend/supplement the lesson to provide for differentiation.
This is meant to be a guide for your individual situation. Substitutions for any part of the lesson is acceptable. Additional items you need to teach the lesson directly as written that are NOT included.
• Pencils, Projector (Optional) non-pitched instruments. (You do NOT need an IWB but I have provided materials for you to use if you have one).
Be sure to connect with me to get access to the FREE Resource Library!
Be the first to hear about new releases, product updates, and amazing deals and teaching tips!
Check out some of my bestsellers!
• Maypole Mania!
• Patriotic Sing Along
• Pitch Hill - Teaching Solfege, Teacher's Edition
• Rhythm Basketball - Get your kids bouncing to the beat!
• Rhythm Coloring - Great for Centers and End of Class Activities
• Rhythm Race Bundle - Music Center and Rhythm Game
• Recorder BAG Bonanza!
• Science of Sound - Detailed Lesson Plans, Experiments, and Presentations
Visit my other store, Pitch Clips, for clip art, digital papers, and other graphic materials!
- Stay updated on new products by clicking the green star at the top of the page!
For more ideas and fun:
Visit my website and follow my Blog!
Follow me on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter!
Follow me on Pinterest!
Follow me on YouTube!
Follow me on Instagram!
Teach music. Love life.
Want to earn FREE products on TpT and make my day?
I love hearing how products help you in the classroom! Don't forget to leave feedback on items you've purchased - you earn 1 TpT credit for every dollar spent on TpT. These really add up!!
Should you have any questions, concerns, or requests, please contact me before leaving feedback at email@example.com
. I want to ensure you have a wonderful experience with my products and my store!
Keywords: Rhythm Composing, meter, measure, 2nd grade lesson plan, music lesson plans, 2nd grade music lesson plans, lesson plan on measures, measure lesson plan, time signature lesson plan.