This activity is meant to present a look at the early 20th century through the lens of fine arts, music in particular. Although this activity works best as a transition between WW1 and the Great Depression, it can be used in any context.
● Links to 2 songs that exemplify songs from before ww1 and during the “Roaring ‘20s”.
● Lyrics sheets for each of the songs
● Questions to guide students through examining both songs.
● Short assessment question to use to wrap up
Depending on your testing goals and state standards, this activity can be adapted to standards covering
any of the following areas, as well as many others:
● Great Depression
● Roaring ‘20s
● Fine Arts
● Analyzing Cause and Effect
● Making advanced Comparisons
● Theorizing Relationships
● Recognizing Chains of Events
● Writing: Lyrics as Poetry