Musical Papers is a collaborative game that guides students through a structured and organized peer editing process. It breaks down the editing process into manageable chunks, making the editing more purposeful and focused. This game is led by a PowerPoint presentation that has ten pre-made editing rounds included. They are editable and customizable, too. This can be used for editing any type of writing.
Prefer to use these in Google Slides? Simply upload this PowerPoint file to your drive and tell Google to "Open With Slides."
Check out my blog post to read about how we play this game in my class.
How to Play
- Have kids put their drafts and student accountability sheet on their desk
- Give each student their own colored pencil to edit with
- Play music and have them dance around the room. When the music stops, they must sit down at the desk that is closest to them to edit.
- Display the PowerPoint slide with the editing objective. Explain exactly what they are editing for and what marks they should use when editing this.
- Set the timer and have them edit. When they are done editing for that specific purpose, they stand up behind the chair, indicating they are ready to rotate again.
Student Accountability Sheet
First, distribute the student accountability sheet. Each time a student edits someone else’s paper, they will sign their name under their round. This holds students accountable for thoughtful, constructive editing. There is a student accountability sheet for all ten rounds (pictured) and a half sheet made for five rounds if you choose to only do half the rounds.
Editable PowerPoint Presentation
Project the PowerPoint presentation on your board to let it guide the class through the game. When you click, the timer automatically begins counting down. On each slide, there is an editing task/objective, editing instructions for the students, and an example (where applicable). The pre-made slides have editable text boxes. I used a standard font (Century Gothic), so the formatting won’t change when you open it on your computer.
Included in this PowerPoint Presentation
- One PowerPoint file
- Two student accountability sheets that you can print for each student
- 10 pre-made customizable slides for editing the following: name, title, capital letters, end punctuation, commas, proper nouns, transition words, spelling, paragraphing, and clarity (feedback). Want to change any of these? No problem!
- Timers on each slide
- A slide with extra timers with different amounts of minutes. You can copy/paste these timers onto any slide.
- * Music not included
Please respect my hard work and the time I put into creating teaching resources by not sharing this with others. If someone on your team would like to use this too, please direct them to my website to purchase a license, as each purchase = one license. Please remember that it is not okay to upload these online to share with others, and it is not okay to modify these and then resell them or redistribute them to others. Thank you for your understanding and respect!
Earn Points to Apply Towards Future Purchases
When you are logged into your account, you can access your TpT downloads by clicking on My Purchases. They will all appear in a list and you can filter the list by 'Needs Feedback.' With each rating you give, you earn points that work as credits towards your future TpT purchases.
Connect With Me