My Editing Strategies Racing Team is aligned to kindergarten through 2nd Grade Common Core Standards. It can be used in whole group and small group instruction, literacy workstations and in writing workshop. It comes with posters that can be displayed and placed in students' writing folders. There are examples with pictures on ways I have implemented it into my classroom.
There are 8 strategies that can be used in mini-lessons:
* Finger Space Sally
* Capitals Carolyn
* Commas Connor
* Ending Punctuation Pete
* Spelling Sam
* Apostrophe Alex
* Fluency Flo
* Revising Richard
Each editing strategy is represented by a specific color. Each strategy has the following components included:
1. Meet the Strategy Book Cover Page – There is one book cover page for all the strategies. There are also single book cover pages for each of the eight editing strategies.
2. Hi! I’m ______. This is a page with a large visual of the strategy name and picture that represents the strategy.
3. I Can…- There are one or more pages of “I Can” Common Core Statements related to the strategy with the Common Core Standards listed for kindergarten through second grade.
4. Finding/Checking…- This page is for students to learn to identify the strategy being used before having to edit it to make it correct. Students will “code the strategy” with the matching colored pencil and count how many times they found that strategy. For example: “Finding Capitals with Capitals Carolyn.” Students would outline all capital letters in the sentence with a green pencil and then count how many total of capital letters. They can record their answer in the box at the bottom with a number or tally marks.
5. Fix it Up with….- This page teaches students how to use editing marks that match that strategy when editing writing.
6. Strategy Checklist- This page lists all the skills students should be doing when mastering the common core standards associated with the editing strategy.
7. Daily Tune-Up- This page has students use only the strategy being focused on to edit a sentence. They will:
o Read It! (Students read the sentence to see if it makes sense and look for errors.)
o Fix It! (Use editing strategies to fix mistakes)
o Write It! (Write sentence correctly.)
o Trace It! (Trace letters or words associated with strategy, such as apostrophe or word now spelled correctly. I stop this step as my students become more proficient in the strategies.)
o Illustrate It! (Draw picture to match sentence.)
o Count It! (Students can write the number or make tally marks for each time the strategy was used. For “Fluency Flo, they count how many times they orally read the sentence.)
Also included in this product:
*Pocket chart station cards
*Finger Space Sally pictures to put on craft sticks, so "Finger Space Sally" can drive between the words. (Similar to using "Spaceman."
*Explanation for setting up materials with pictures.
*COMING SOON- A Powerpoint to teach the strategies while students look at their editing strategies book.
I hope your students enjoy editing as much as mine do! :)