This is a teacher-made test for the Second Grade Journeys series. The test covers all of the main skills taught during lesson 2. This is the second test given in this series and teacher scaffolding can certainly be done so that the students can become more confident with the future tests. However, questions are created at a level that students should be able to answer them with or without your help. We have created tests for all 30 stories that are more rigorous and covers more skills/standards than the ones that the series provides. Once the students get familiar with the tests, completion is relatively smooth. The students get used to the format and we do try to cover as many story comprehension skills as we can, while of course, focusing on the main focus skills of the lesson.
The story comprehension questions for this test has 7 multiple choice and 2 written responses.
We have found that the cover sheet helps with grading and then can be sent home and returned after parents/guardians review the test. The test is relatively quick to check. The test can be given in 1 day (about 1 hour), or separated over multiple days.
This test is broken down as follows:
• Page 1 - Cover sheet with parent/guardian signature page
• Page 2 - Vocabulary for the story of My Family: fill in the blanks (8 points total)
• Pages 3 - 4- Phonics Strategy - short o, u, & e words: fill in the blanks with multiple choice (8 points total)
• Pages 5-6 - Vocabulary Strategy - Using a Glossary - Use a glossary entry on the test to answer both fill in the blank answer questions and written responses about the entries, questions about general glossary knowledge. (7 points total)
• Pages 7-9 - Story comprehension for My Family -(7 multiple choice, multi-skill questions and 2- 2 point written answer) (11 points total)
• Pages 9-10 - Grammar - Complete Sentences - 3 multiple choice questions identifying complete sentences and 3 complete sentences that the students create.
This test includes text-dependent questions for the story My Family. These questions encourage close reading of the text. Students should be encouraged to look through the book and find the answers. Questions in the test are both written response and multiple choice.
Thanks for looking at our product! We hope that you enjoy the test!
Sincerely, Nicole Ferraccio (Second Grade Sillies)