This is a lit log by MrsDsEducationalTools for by Patricia MacLachlan, a great read-aloud and discussion book (for a counseling group, novel study, literature group, or guided reading instruction). The themes of the book are tragic loss, grief, love, healing, family, shelter dogs, and friendship. It is written from the point of view of a fifth-grade girl. Her brother and a neighbor are also main characters.
The focus skills of the lit log are:
* use phonetic/word analysis skills (compound words)
* use text to determine meaning of words/phrases
* use text to ask/answer questions/explain/draw inferences
* determine theme/summarize
* describe characters, setting, events
* distinguish/describe point of view
Reading level of text: 4th grade
Interest level of text: 3rd-6th grade
I hope this lit log is helpful and you and your students enjoy reading this book.