The Story of Creation
Bible verse: Genesis 1:1
“In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth”
• Start a discussion on creation. Explain to the students that creation is making something from nothing. God just spoke everything into existence.
• Discuss how God want to create the earth and how it took him only 6 days to create it and on the 7th day he rested. Through creating the universe God gave us our 7-day week and an example of how we need to rest one day a week. God also created our universe to be perfect and He created in perfect order. We should always do our best when we are doing something.
• After your discussion, read Genesis 1:1 and tell students that this is their new Bible verse. And they will need to memorize it and upon memorization they will earn a brag tag. They will also earn a brag tag for learning the 7 days of creation in the correct order.
• Print posters on cardstock and use to tell the story of Creation. You may decide to do the whole 7 days of creation in one day or split it up and do a couple of days at a time follow with writing in the journal and other activities. Which ever way you choose to present I have included lots of activities to go with the Lesson.
• 1. Bible verse coloring/writing worksheet.
• 2. Bible verse take home cards/ Days of Creation cards for students to take home and memorize.
• 3. My creation journal: a journal of the 7 days of creation that student will enjoy putting together. Students trace: One the first day God created ______________ and then complete the sentence. Also, students will draw a picture of what happened on that day.
• 4. Multi-purpose activity cards: sequence activity: putting the 7 days in order, matching game, assessment, or a time line.
• 5. Game of Creation: Student’s play on file folder game board; going through the days of creation
• 6. What if game: what if cards; teacher reads cards...students tell what would happen if creation where made in the order that the card states (for example: what if God created the 3rd day first) A great assessment tool and requires higher thinking order to play. This will give you lots to discuss God’s perfect plan in creation.
• 6. Activity: Create the world: which team can create the earth the fastest.
• Object of game:
• 1. Each team gets a laminated poster of the world. The poster is placed on the other side of the room or down the hallway from where the student will start.
• 2. Each team gets a stack of pictures depicting the order that the earth was created.
• 3. The object of the game- the team who creates the earth correctly first wins.
• ~ Students are to look through the pictures to determine which picture goes first, then next, etc. They can discard picture cards that they think does not belong. (Put clear Velcro on poster where cards are to be placed and put clear Velcro on the back of cards so they will stick to the poster.) There will be more cards then needed and some days of creation will have more than one card players can use. If card is already used then they can discard card in discard pile.
• ~ Once student has the picture card they need they run to the poster and stick it in the correct square. The numbers on the squares indicated the day the picture would have been created.
• 7. Brag tags: memory verse, story re-telling.