In my classroom, I typically choose one story to read for the week. This way, the students have several chances to hear the story. I then design literacy, math, fine motor/handwriting and other activities to accompany it, so that’s how I have set this up. This week’s story is My Many Colored Days.
Download the preview for a complete list of activities and skills incorporated.
Each activity has an objective, list of materials, activity instructions, a note on furthering the activity, and a list of skills. The list of skills is also included in the table of contents.
A blank assessment checklist has also been included. I suggest printing one off, filling in your students names at the top, and then copying it the needed number of times.
Some of the activities will show store-bought, hands-on materials that I have acquired over the years. If you don’t have the material, no problem, I have also made fun alternatives.
This packet is part of my Welcome Back! unit…
With the full unit you will…
• start the year with fun, engaging activities.
• assess students on all basic preschool and kindergarten skills.
• take data to use for curriculum and lesson planning.
• complete ISTAR-KR (ignore if you don’t use it).
By completing all of the activities included in the Welcome Back! packet, you will be able to introduce, practice, and/or assess all basic preschool and kindergarten skills. I have included the skills that are included with each activity. Some skills are repeated, so if a certain activity doesn’t work for you, you may be able to find the same skills somewhere else.
You could use this packet in several ways:
• complete all activities
• find exact target skills and only use those activities
• add enrichment activities using the familiar books listed
• complete skills checklists (one is included) for parent/teacher use
• beef up your literacy, math, and/or fine motor repertoire