Not using a word wall for your upper-elementary classroom? Then you need these small personal dictionaries for your students to keep in their writing folders! Throughout the year, students will add their own words- words they use in their everyday writing- so each dictionary is differentiated to every student's particular spelling needs.
In the book, you will find
-Each letter of the alphabet represented in it's own word box (two letters per half-page)
- Common 3rd-5th grade sight words pre-filled in letter boxes (these are NO EXCUSE words for all my students)
- A page of school words, teacher names (you fill in before copying), locations, colors, numbers, math words, and subjects
- 3 pages filled with commonly misspelled homophones- definitions and example sentences are provided
Your students might add:
- Weekly spelling words
- Names of family members, pets, teams, etc.
- Words they've had to look up to use in their writing
- Words YOU notice the student frequently uses and frequently misspells
Once my students add words to their personal dictionaries, I call them NO EXCUSE WORDS! Students have access to these dictionaries anytime they write, so they should always be spelled correctly. By the middle of the year, my students are using their dictionaries (and adding to them!) without any prompting for me!
*Note: This book is meant to be on BOTH sides, and then cut in half to create a 5.5" x 8.5" booklet (this is why the letters don't appear to be in alphabetical order in the document- they will be in order once two-side printed and cut in half). I recommend only printing on CARD STOCK.