Guided reading/book group resources for My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George. This book is used in a unit called Challenges & Survival/Resilience Unit.
In the Challenges & Survival/Resilience Unit, students identify the challenges (physical, psychological and social) of the main character and the resources for survival/how the character showed resilience. There is heavy pre-teaching of these terms and how to identify and classify challenges and the ways the character overcame them. (Not included...)
Students use the charts to record page numbers and the various challenges and resources for survival/how the character showed resilience.
This document contains:
• Six student assignments
• Mid-book open response
• Final open response
• Final open response planning sheet
• Challenges & Resources for Survival note-taking sheets
• Summary planner
Each student assignment contains:
• Short summary of the main events of the chapter (see page 24 for organizer to track main events-if needed)
• Vocabulary- new or interesting words
• Questions- specific to the reading assignment and to help with final open response
• Student questions- helps students to reflect on their reading