This activity packet provides practice with counting coins (pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters). Students will also use addition and subtraction of money amounts to problem-solve while determining total costs and making change. The included 9 activities can be used for center work, independent work, small group work, differentiated instruction, and parent/child work. Directions for SCOOT are included.
1. Sort the Picture Cards on the shop mats.
2. Choose a set of cards and arrange the cards in order from the least value to the most value.
3. Match each red Picture Card (price tag) to the correct blue Coin Card.
4. Choose a random Coin Card and a Picture Card. Complete a Spending Spree sheet using the money amounts on the cards.
5. Choose a yellow Spending Spree Task Card and use the Coin Cards and Picture Cards to solve the problem. You can differentiate by choosing the cards for completion.
6. Shop ‘til You Drop: (2 or 4 players) Lay the Picture Cards face down. Each player chooses 2 cards and completes the Bill of Sale. Flip a coin to see who wins the round: HEADS = the person with the highest bill or TAILS = the person with the lowest bill. Play 3 rounds. Best of 3 wins the game.
7. Banker: (two players) Place the coin cards face down on a table. Players take turns
choosing cards from the table – without peeking – until all cards are picked up. Each player keeps his cards face down on the table. Player 1 turns over a card to reveal the amount on the card. Player 2 turns over one of his cards. The player with the highest value takes both cards. Continue until one player has all cards.
8. SCOOT: Coin Count
9. SCOOT: Spending Spree
Thanks for looking. Check out my store for more literacy and math activities.
My Spending Spree
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License