Also included in
- Kids love reading and writing mysteries. When you add secret codes, fingerprinting, and invisible ink, they’re really hooked! This unit will engage your little detectives. It was specially designed for third, fourth, and fifth grade students. All resources are available as printable PDFs and shareabPrice $20.97Original Price $25.97Save $5.00
- Five weeks of detective-themed ELA activities engage fourth and fifth grade students. The unit includes mystery reading, critical thinking, and writing projects; two novel studies; a simulation; posters and book report templates. A complete 25-day schedule guides instruction. Read Like a Detective –Price $39.96Original Price $49.96Save $10.00
Add some detective activities to your mystery genre study! Your kids will love decoding secret messages, analyzing fingerprints, trying different types of invisible ink, playing observation games, and working logic puzzles.
- Secret Codes - After reading a two-page history of ciphers, kids can create their own Alberti cipher disk and crack five codes.
- Observation - Ideas, directions, prompts, and templates help kids pay more attention to details and become more observant.
- Logic Puzzles - Teach deductive reasoning skills with five brainteasers. For more challenge, use the blank template to have kids design their own!
Resources Included in the Bonus File
- Fingerprinting - A three-page set teaches kids about fingerprints and lets them record their own.
- Invisible Ink - Three recipes can be used for classroom exploration or a science lab.
- Detective Badges - Reproduce the color page to celebrate completion of the unit.
Activities were created for third, fourth, and fifth grade students. Open the previews to take a closer look.
Would you like to know when I post more resources? Simply follow me on TpT.
P.S. These materials also work well for the Girl Scouts Junior Detective Badge!
I'm committed to continual improvement. This resource was updated on June 2, 2022.