Mystery Word Elapsed Time ANALOG
Students love looking for the mystery words, or follow clues for the mystery pixel art as they solve elapsed time problems. When my students play these games, I see them excitedly digging in to challenges. Students must use critical thinking skills to use math tiles 0-9 exactly once. This makes the game self-correcting and spurs great math discussions about why a tile can only work in one place.
Please see the preview for this, and all the elements found in the Bundle.
Mystery Word Elapsed Time Analog & Digital (Greek Myths)
• Odd boards feature 5 minute intervals.
• Even boards feature 1 minute intervals.
• Boards 1-16 have elapsed time within 1 hour.
• Boards 17-32 have elapsed time from 1 to 4 hours.
Analog vs. Digital
The analog version was tested in 3rd and 4th grades. Those students spent more time deciphering analog clocks than focusing on elapsed time. The digital set is exactly the same, but allows students to focus on elapsed time. The sets can be mixed together or used independently, or even printed back to back.
They are sold separately or in a mini-bundle.
Each Math Tile Game Includes
1. Step by Step instructions modeling one board (new feature - 2018)
2. 32 Boards in full color
3. 32 Print friendly boards
4. 32 Answer pages
5. Condensed teacher Answers
6. Student Response pages
7. Printable Tiles
8. Management Hints
A printable page with digit squares is included, but I prefer the durable number tiles
Model with Think Aloud
– These games are deceptively harder than they appear! When modeling a board, I use strong math vocabulary and explain my reasoning out loud. I model an incorrect answer and how to fix parts without having to start over again. Depending on the class, I model correct attitudes and words for partner support.
Step by Step
– I use this in two ways: first for students who listen to the modeling, then say “What do we do?” and also for advanced students who will work on this alone while I teach a different group.
- Print a teacher answer key! This is handy when a student is sure the board is wrong, but they’ve made one mistake that they need to check. Depending on how trustworthy the class is: leave one on each table so it can be checked after the board is complete. Sometimes I’ll have an honest student hold the key. They check, then tell the student how many answers on the board are incorrect (but not which ones).
- Each set of boards has unique graphic themes. One group can review Place Value Penguins while another works on Fraction Moose.
Centers & Homework
- Use the numbered response sheet to work on one set of boards for several days. Print 4 print-friendly boards to a page to include in center folders or homework.
• Pair Scoot – Pairs of students scoot together, practicing discussing math together as they reason about the answers.
• Silent Scoot - To use these boards as an assessment, have each student move silently to the next board.
• Teacher Stays Scoot - The lowest half of the class acts as ‘Teachers’ and must stay in their seat to teach their new partner. Teachers become experts in two boards, and have to use math vocabulary to support their peers who go to all the boards.
• Random Scoot – Pairs may move to a new table whenever they finish, with a limit of 6 students at a table (2 standing). I give a goal of 20 boards to be finished in a set amount of time. Those students who excel to finish 32 are given the answer key and asked to check their work, then help others.
Please visit my store for these supporting documents –
The Elapsed Time Mystery Tile BUNDLE
includes these sets:
• Elapsed Time Math Tile FREEBIE Sampler
• Mystery Words Elapsed Time Line SEA (up to 4 hours)
• Mystery Words Elapsed Time Line INVENTORS (up to 12 hours)
• Mystery Picture Elapsed Time SHORT Story
• Mystery Picture Elapsed Time LONG Story
• Mystery Words Elapsed Time ANALOG Clocks
• Mystery Words Elapsed Time DIGITAL Clocks
The Elapsed Time Math Tile bundle includes artwork purchased from these talented individuals:
Thank you for your interest in Creative Core Integrations
by Kim Shelley!
*Follow me* - for 50% off new products for the first 48 hours.