Mystery Words is a making words activity. It uses letter tiles and some detective work to focus on vowel sounds and word families.
This is a great Daily 5 activity for Working with Words! This is an engaging and hands-on addition to any phonic, spelling or reading center.
How to play: (with partners or alone)
* grab a kit
* pull the letter tiles out of the bag
* manipulate the letters to make words part of a word family
* record the words made on the Mystery Words sheet
This Mystery Word Kit features:
* Kindergarten and first grade CCSS covered with this activity
* instructions for prep
* instructions for play
* bag labels for each vowel sound (14 total)
* student tracking sheet
* Mystery Word recording sheets
* lists of possible words able to be made with each set
* letter tiles for each set
* "I can" statement mini-posters (learning targets)
The focus for this kit is both short and long vowels. The vowels sounds that are covered are:
All images were were hand drawn and digitally enhanced in Photoshop and Illustrator. Each file is a high resolution .pdf document.
This product is licensed with a Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported. You may freely use this product for your own uses but not use it for commercial purposes.
Thank you for stopping by to check out my products! For more ideas and fun stuff, drop by my blog: http://peacocksandpenguins.blogspot.com/
For quick updates, product notices and quirks in the life of teaching, "like" peacocks and penguins on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/PeacocksandPenguins and visit Peacocks and Penguins Blog at http://peacocksandpenguins.blogspot.com