Also included in
- Are you a first year teacher, long-term sub, or new to World Literature? This is everything you need for a fantastic year with your world literature curriculum for high school level students! With this bundle, you can rest easy knowing that you have everything you need to make it through the year! TPrice $187.02Original Price $225.02Save $38.00
- This bundle has everything you need to start the year out strong with your world literature high school curriculum! This will make your start of the year in your high school world classroom a complete breeze with the first 6 weeks completely taken care of! Your students will love the starting the yePrice $32.30Original Price $36.98Save $4.68
- Are you wondering how to teach mythology? This mega bundle will help you cover highlights of European and Asian mythology to your high school students and introduce them to a multitude of cultures. This bundle will help you in teaching mythology from the European and Asian cultures. Such as: CelticPrice $57.55Original Price $71.94Save $14.39
- This money saving bundle includes all of my favorite resources for teaching Mythology, Legends, and fairytales in secondary ELA classes! This bundle is also perfect for a full year Mythology class. You will love the highly engaging, but rigorous cultural studies and PBL units that are READY TO GO! YPrice $110.36Original Price $130.45Save $20.09
Are you looking for a way to hook your high school students into World Literature or Mythology? This unit is an engaging look at heroes and why humans have always been fascinated with them. Students look at mythical heroes from all around the world and examining how these stories reflect the values of that culture. This ready to go unit has EVERYTHING you need to have a full 6-7 weeks of highly engaging discussions and rigorous skills-based work as well as a fantastic PBL project to be working on throughout the unit.
❤️ With this unit, students focus on the essential question of how our cultural heroes reflect our society's values. Starting with the ancient Greeks and working their way up to modern comic book superheroes.
✨ I have included 6 areas of study:
- The Hero's Journey and Archetypes- frontload them with the knowledge they need for that deeper analysis later on
- Ancient Greece- Perseus, Hercules, and Theseus (add in The Rage of Achilles for even more rigor)
- Ancient China and Japan- Mulan and Prince Yamato (add in the animated movie Nezha if you have a chance!)
- Norse Mythology and Heroes- Odin, Thor, and Sigurd
- Anglo-Saxon Hero- Beowulf (mini unit can also be found here)
- Comic Book Heroes/Antiheroes- Batman and Superman focused
The unit covers the cultural values of each ancient society and thought-provoking assignments/discussion points on how their values are seen through their heroic stories. There are also assignments that look at the physiological needs that humans have for hero worship.
⭐ Included with this unit overview:
- Detailed unit outline with suggested essential questions for each area of study and suggestions on planning
- Archetypes Reference Book Activity- my students as well as many other teachers have said this activity helps students to get to a much deeper level of analysis
- Over 20 links- this can be used in person, but is also a digital learning friendly
- 13 Power Point presentations- cultural values of each society and discussion questions
- Differentiated assignment options for each area of study- all set and ready to go!
- PBL project for students to complete a new heroic story- for extra engagement I have my students connect with other elementary classes
- alternative project for students to research a real-life modern hero and present on them
- Blank comic panel PDF pages- have students try their hand at making a comic book
- Research assignment handout on McCarthyism, Senate Subcommittee on Juvenile Delinquency hearings in April 1954, and the Comic Code Criteria in connection with cultural issues in America during the 1950's
Included in the lesson plans are also suggested ways to increase the rigor for Gifted classes if you need to differentiate beyond on-level or co-taught classes. I have successfully used this unit for gifted, on-level, and ESOL.
What are other teachers saying?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Extremely satisfied
An excellent introduction to archetypes and the hero’s journey.
❤️ Would you like a lengthier description of how I have used this in my classroom? Check out my blog post here.
_________________ Popular Questions and Answers ___________
Who is this unit best designed for?
This unit will work best for high school students, but could work well for 8th grade with the right scaffolding.
Do I have to do the entire unit?
I have designed it so that you can complete the entire unit as a sequence, but can also be easily broken up or added to a larger study- such as The Odyssey, Ramayana, or Gilgamesh.
Other products you may love!
• World Lit Mini Bundle- Myths, Legends, and Fairy Tales
Copyright © Around the World With Mrs. C.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.