"Mad Magpie" is a wonderful picture book by Australian Indigenous author and illustrator, Gregg Dreise, with strong anti-bullying messages told through an engaging narrative story.
Free teacher notes and details about how to purchase the book are available via the Magabala Books website: https://www.magabala.com/childrens-picture-books/mad-magpie.html
This resource can be used for the following cross-curricula purposes and also for NAIDOC Week studies:
- Australian Indigenous Perspectives
- Australian animals research (birds)
- Social and emotional well-being – teasing, bullying, ignoring taunts
- Visual art – Indigenous Australian art forms
- Music – analysing song lyrics
- Reading comprehension strategies; vocabulary, character traits, making
This reading comprehension resource includes:
- Text connections
- Character traits
- Word work
- Shades of meaning: synonyms for “anger”
- Magpie bullying strategies
- Idioms for anger
- Magpie bullying thermometer
- Proverbs, sayings and idioms about birds
- Research graphic organisers
Please note that you will need a copy of the picture book to make the best use of this resource.
All resources are for personal/classroom use only and are not to be distributed further. Multiple licenses are now available at TpT for half price. No sharing of this resource is permitted through email, photocopying, internet groups/blogs, offline groups, school district or regional websites/servers, discussion lists, school websites/servers, or personal websites.