Although picture prompt writing assessments were removed from the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA) in recent years, narrative writing is included as part of the Common Core State Standards. It remains to be seen whether or not the Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) Assessment will include a component on narrative writing. Still, it is always best to be prepared, and most students enjoy writing narratives.
The Narrative Writing Bundle includes eight pages of instructional materials including:
• Colorful notes explaining how to write a good short story. The notes would work well with a digital overhead projector.
• A black and white version of the notes that can easily be photocopied and distributed to students.
• Instructions for writing a successful beginning to a short story
• A checklist for providing feedback on a story introduction
• A checklist for providing feedback on an entire story
• A narrative writing rubric
• A short story to illustrate the elements of a good short story
• Comprehension questions for the short story
• An answer key to the short story comprehension questions
If you decide to purchase the bundle, I would greatly appreciate receiving your feedback on this product. Also, since Glisam Language Arts Solutions is a registered business within New Jersey. It would be helpful if you would state whether or not you reside in New Jersey. Simply state “yes” or “no.” Please do not provide me with your address. That is not necessary.
Enjoy the product and your time with the students!