This product is a narrative writing journal for students to complete during centers, small group instruction, whole group, or independently. I have created four different writing journals that follow the same writing process that are available in my TPT store. Each Journal has a different prompt. There is also a speaker tag anchor chart included in each journal for student reference. The following is the writing process as it is laid out in this download.
1. Brainstorm: Students will brainstorm their setting, characters, and problem.
2. Brainstorm: Students will fill out a bubble chart with the answers to the following questions:
- What are the events that make up the middle of your story?
- How did the characters work to solve a problem?
- What events or actions happen with the characters throughout the story?
3. Draft: Students will write a quick draft with a beginning middle and end.
4. Rough Draft: Students will expand on their draft.
5. Whisper Edit: students will whisper their story to themselves to try to catch any errors or missing pieces to their story prior to having a writing conference with the teacher or adult.
6. Writing conference: Students will meet one-on-one with an adult to go over their story. While they are talking about their writing the adult should give each individual student a goal to make their writing better.
7. Final Draft: Students can write or type their final story.
My students have one this writing journals! I hope yours do too! This product is meant to be taught using small lessons. The first round should be modeled. Please email if you'd like anything changed or have any questions.