Products in this Bundle (3)
Explore the cultural history and language of the nation’s largest Native American tribe—and save 20%—with the six cross-curricular activities and two language books in the .
- Cherokee includes a color chart with phonetic pronunciations, traceable color names (in the Cherokee syllabary/alphabet), and illustrations of common cultural symbols.
- also includes phonetic pronunciations, as well as traceable number words highlighted with fun facts about both historic and modern-day cultural symbols.
- gives teachers a quick one-page overview of the Cherokee language.
- 7 Clans of the Cherokee describes the clan-based social system and includes a writing/art activity.
- Decoding Tsalagi uses familiar animal names to highlight the Cherokee syllabary (alphabet).
- Green Corn Ceremony describes the historic celebration and uses a multiple choice format to present facts about corn, which was the most important food source.
- How the Cardinal Got Its Red Feathers features a Cherokee legend, using a fill-in-the-blank format that builds vocabulary.
- Popcorn Physics puts a new twist on the Dancing Corn experiment by linking it to states of matter and chemical changes.
- The Trail of Tears is a mapping activity that focuses on the routes used during the forced removal of the Cherokee from their homelands in the 1830s.
Vocabulary Words and Phrases:
carbon dioxide, cardinal directions, chemical reaction, Cherokee rose, clan, descendent, domesticated, fasting, gourd, homeland, legend, matter, physics, prankster, prestigious, reflection, ribbon shirt, Three Sisters, Trail of Tears, Tsalagi
- Promoting respect and appreciation for cultural differences
- Reading and writing Cherokee color and number words (1-10)
- Writing words with Tsalagi symbols
- Using descriptive and persuasive writing skills
- Identifying historic events of the Cherokee nation
- Following written directions
- Using the Scientific Method
- Using a map key and symbols
- Building content-area literacy in social studies
- Critical thinking skills of comparing and contrasting
- Reading fluency and comprehension
Sample Pages: Please see the preview for sample activity pages.
Technical Info: The activities are in PDF format, combined into a single zip file, and illustrated with original, high-definition images.
CLICK HERE to view all of my Native American resources.
Connect with Let’s Get Real
Visit My Store: Click here to see all of the Let’s Get Real topics and resources. Look for the category list on the left side of the home page.
Facebook: Click here to follow me on the Let’s Get Real Facebook page for weekly posts about teaching strategies and resources.
Pinterest: Click here to check out the Let’s Get Real Pinterest boards for more ways to enrich your teaching themes.
What kinds of resources does Let’s Get Real offer?
Let’s Get Real take-home books and learning center resources focus on content-area literacy, that is, helping children gain the specialized science and social studies vocabulary that enables them to excel in reading fluency and comprehension. In addition, all Let’s Get Real resources are illustrated with realistic, original images and/or photographs.
How can I see what you offer or know when you’ve added new materials?
Click on the star to the right of this description (under my pic) OR click on my store link (above), then click on the star at the top of the page to follow Let’s Get Real. You’ll be the first to know about new materials, sales, and freebies. To view the resources by science/social studies topics, look to the left on the store page, under the heading Custom Categories.
What are TPT credits and how do I get them?
Every time you provide feedback for a purchase, TPT gives you 1 credit for each dollar you’ve spent. After you’ve used (and hopefully loved!) a resource, hover on your picture at the top of the page and open the “My Account” tab. Click on your “My Purchases” category. You should see a list of your purchases with a “Provide Feedback” button for each one. Just click the button and you’ll be taken to a page where you can rate the product and leave a comment for me. You can apply the credits you earn to any future purchases and I always appreciate your positive feedback.
What do I do if I have a question about or problem with a resource?
You can always contact me through the product Q & A tab, located at the bottom of the product description.
Please “share the love” by telling others how much you like Let’s Get Real products; but please don’t share the copyright. Each Let’s Get Real resource—including graphics and illustrations—is copyrighted by Dr. J/Teaching Texas LLC and may not be redistributed, sold, or placed on the internet. This resource is for one teacher-use only. Thank you so much for your support!