Activity- “Who needs what?”
The students are divided in smaller groups. Each group receives a copy of the worksheet –“Who needs what?” The students are instructed to think about the animals/plants given on the worksheets- where and how they live and what they need to have good life. After that they connect the given animal/plant with the things given.
1. Let’s see, what does the dog need? What do you think? (besides the necessities like: food, water, kennel, the dog also needs: regular walks, enough space, attention, playtime, hygiene, vaccination).
2. What does the potted plant need? (watering, fertilizing, bigger pot, sunshine).
3. What does the fish need? Is the fish bowl just a regular bowl filled with water? How do you think the fish feel when you knock on the glass of their fish bowl? (the fish need a lot of care, regular feeding, regular water temperature, filtered water, air pump, occasional input of fresh water, occasional cleaning of the entire bowl. Avoid knocking on the glass- it is a shock to the fish, avoid putting your hands in the water).
4. What does a bird need to feel nice? Does it need all the toys in its cage? (besides food and water, it also needs a bigger space, if kept in birdcage, toys, attention, love and care).
5. What does a tree need if it is grown in a garden or in a park? (water, fertilizer, light, pest control).
6. What does the kitten need? Is it a good thing to pull the kitten by its tail? (Besides the necessities like food, water and home, they need regular walks, enough space, care, hygiene, vaccination).
7. Can the pets and houseplants survive without our care?
8. Are we allowed to beat the animals? Are we allowed to tear up the leaves of the plants? Or to cut trees? Why?
9. Should people look after the animals and the plants? Why?
10. Which plants can be grown inside an apartment or in a garden?