This mini-unit is in the form of a Slide Rocket presentation. It totals 25 slides with embedded video clips and colorful graphics sure to keep your students focused and engaged. I designed this mini-unit to address the new ELA Common Core Standards for argument writing.
The slides cover the following:
1. A clear explanation of the Common Core writing standard and breakdown of vocabulary (terms like valid, argument, cite, etc.)
2. Relevant examples of argument and counter-argument
3. Common myths about what argument writing is
4. The importance of supporting evidence
5. Video clips: Monty Python's "Argument Clinic" sketch; a lesson in organizing an argument essay; a short animated film which demonstrates the importance of valid evidence
6. What makes an argument valid lesson with interactive examples
7. A writing activity where students have to choose an argument about whether schools should continue with summer vacation or not
8. A list of the 7 steps to take when writing the rough draft of an argument essay
My students actually had fun learning with this mini-unit, and I hope you and yours do, too!