Start the year out strong with this collection of mini-lessons that introduce students to the first Reading Common Core Standard focusing on citing evidence. Here's what you'll get:
1. A link to a full Prezi presentation (77 "clicks") with embedded images and video clips to support content
2. A student guide that follows all three mini-lessons to be used for note taking, practice, and application of skills
3. Content includes in-depth introduction to Common Core terminology with strategy practice for terms: cite, evidence, explicit, and inference
4. A three step strategy for citing evidence from a text: Locate, Paraphrase, and Cite Evidence
5. Application of the three-step strategy using excerpts from current, high interest novels (When a Monster Calls, The Fourth Stall, and Between Shades of Gray) which allows for embedded book talks as well
6. Each mini-lesson ends with a task for students to complete with their own novel - this could be a class novel study, literature circles or independent, choice novel
7. The mini-lesson collection culminated by pulling everything together with the P.E.E.Writing strategy - teaches students a basic structure for writing a constructed response while embedding evidence (P=point, E=evidence, and E= explanation).
This strategy was most helpful to my students as it can be applied in other content areas (science, math, social studies) and gives them the confidence many need to write analytically for Common Core.
I hope you enjoy - have fun learning!