This lesson has been newly designed for 2019 AP Language and Composition classes
It addresses skills 1A, 2A, 4A, 6C, and 8A as outlined by The College Board.
This plan introduces Cicero's five canons of rhetoric to develop students’ ability to respond effectively to an open prompt.
- Google Slides presentation introducing and explaining the five canons of rhetoric
- PearDeck compatible lesson to increase student engagement
- A past open essay prompt, exploring the value of the connotation of words
- Prompt is provided on Google Slides and a printout version is also provided via Google Docs
- Further shows students how to avoid weak writing by forcing them to say ideas, rather than just saying something