In this worksheet, students will construct a model of a food web by using their prior knowledge to place the organisms into correct places on the chart based on their roles within the ecosystem.
This worksheet is aligned to the 5th grade NGSS performance expectation 5-LS2-1: Develop a model to describe the movement of matter among plants, animals, decomposers and the environment, and to MS-LS2-3. Develop a model to describe the cycling of matter and flow of energy among living parts of an ecosystem.
There is a teacher guide, student worksheet, and answer key all included in this resource.
Before using this worksheet, students should already be able to:
• Identify producers, consumers, and decomposers
• Differentiate between herbivores, omnivores, and carnivores
• Read and interpret basic food chains and food webs
If you want a food chain and food web bundle, including the lesson for classifying organisms, you can find that here: Food Chain and Food Web Bundle
If you teach the NGSS Standards, you may want to check out the following more extensive resources:
- 5th Grade Ecology Bundle: Found Here
- Middle School Ecology Bundle for MS-LS2-3: Found Here