This science center activity lets students apply what they know about animal traits and adaptations. These skills reflect the Next Generation Science Standards for first grade but may enhance your curriculum or class units too. Learn about: frogs, horses, rabbits, butterflies, and turtles. Increase vocabulary to include: wings, legs, shell, tongue, and fur. Don't forget the adjectives: four, strong, hard, long, and thick. Now put it all together and this is what is in your download..
Included in download:
1. "Draw it, Glue it, Write it" pages for putting the parts of sentences in order for 5 animals
2. color coded individual word cards to sequence to form a sentence for each animal
3. beginning, ending, and punctuation sentence parts for a pocket chart (black & white)
4. "I can" list of activities
5. lined writing pages with graphics to copy assembled sentences on for student accountability and extra handwriting practice
6. Set A & Set B differentiated sentence lists to use with the individual word cards for student reference or self correction
Set A is Advanced with more words.
Set B is Basic shorter sentences. (Use with or without adjectives)
Use the set that meets your students' needs.
Or put the Basic version out at the beginning of the year and then pull it out again later in the year using the Advanced sentences when they are ready for them.
Download this set and your students will have a new center to get their hands on and build their knowledge about animals.
This year, enjoy teaching science.
Just an FYI:
If this set is a success...you will want Set 2 that focuses on Pets.
NGSS Pets Animal Traits
Want a great little book to use for an introduction to the NGSS 1-LS1-1: Use materials to design a solution to a human problem by mimicking how plants and/or animals use external parts to help them survive, grow, and meet their needs. This little coloring book will be a hit with your kids and check off another science standard.
NGSS Structure, Process, Function of Animal Parts