Systems on Earth's surface, like plate tectonics, weathering, erosion and natural hazards, produce changes to the Earth that are visible in formations and the fossil record. This NGSS-aligned GLAD unit will get you on your way to a cross-curricular earth science unit that will get your students thinking deeply about the patterns and processes on earth's surface.
Included in this packet:
- Unit essential question
- Inquiry chart printable
- Observation chart photos
- Printable CCD and teacher samples
- I Just Thought You'd Like to Know About Patterns in Earth's Surface Big Book
- Super Scientist Awards
- 4 pictorial input charts to project and trace
- Geology Bugaloo (chant)
- Weathering and Erosion chant
- Plate Tectonics Chant
- 4 different printable sentence pattern charts and teacher sample
- Factors Affecting Erosion Expert Groups (set of 6) with mind map graphic organizer and process grid
- Natural Hazards Expert Groups (set of 6) with mind map graphic organizer and process grid
- 3 writing prompts (narrative, informational, and opinion) and writing paper
- 3 close reading passages with sample CCSS anchor charts, 3 printable question sets aligned to CCSS, and 2 journal prompts
- 5 math activities (3 center-type activities with recording sheets and 2 sets of printable worksheets)
- 4 science labs with teacher directions and printable recording sheets
This unit satisfies NGSS standards 4-ESS1-1, 4-ESS2-1, 4-ESS2-2, and 4-ESS3-2. The close reading questions included address Common Core standards RI 4.1 through 4.9. The writing prompts address CCSS W 4.1, W4.2, and W4.3. That math activities included address CCSS math standards 4.MD.A.1, 4.MD.C.5a, 4.MD.A.2, 4.OA.A.1, 4.NF.C.5, and 4.NF.C.6.
Want more NGSS units? Click here.