This easy-to-use, turnkey lesson plan includes a summary, list of resources, learning outcomes, the NGSS alignment for the lesson, lesson procedure, one Science Literacy Activity, one PowerPoint Presentation, discussion questions and sample responses, assessment questions and an answer key. The lesson plan is aligned with the NGSS High School Earth and Space Science performance expectations and disciplinary core ideas in ESS1: Earth’s Place in the Universe.
The PowerPoint presentation includes 50 colorful slides with NASA images, one NASA video and check-your-understanding questions to keep your students engaged throughout the lesson.
I will be adding more teaching resources to this lesson plan and its price will increase. Purchase this lesson plan now to receive all yet-to-be-added teaching resources for FREE. Follow me to receive email notifications via TPT Inbox when new teaching resources are added to this lesson plan.
Upon completion of this lesson, students will be able to:
• Explain how astronomers define the Universe.
• Explain the difference between astronomy and astrology.
• Describe how ancient astronomers contributed in the development of astronomy.
• Explain how the invention of the telescope together with the advancements in natural sciences have transformed astronomy into a modern science.
• Describe the composition of the Solar System.
• Explain the difference between planets and their moons.
• Define the main asteroid belt, the Kuiper Belt and the Oort Cloud.
• Explain how space telescopes allow astronomers to study the Universe.
• Define extrasolar planets.
• Explain the importance of the study of near-Earth objects (NEOs).
• Describe how solar flares affect the Earth.
• Provide examples of practical applications for astronomy.
This lesson plan is also included in NGSS Earth and Space Science Lesson Plans MEGA BUNDLE - 50+ Turnkey Lesson Plans.
I will be adding new lesson plans and teaching resources to the MEGA BUNDLE. Purchase it now to receive all yet-to-be-added lesson plans and teaching resources for FREE. The price of the MEGA BUNDLE will increase as additional materials are added. Follow me to receive email notifications when new lesson plans and teaching resources are added. Notifications are sent via TpT Inbox.
Download this FREE Earth and Space Science lesson plan
to learn more about my lessons plans and teaching resources.
SAVE MORE by purchasing NGSS Earth and Space Science Lesson Plans BUNDLE #1 Astronomy as a Science
SAVE EVEN MORE by purchasing NGSS Earth and Space Science Lesson Plans MEGA BUNDLE - 50+ Turnkey Lesson Plans