This easy-to-use, turnkey lesson plan is aligned with the NGSS High School Earth and Space Science performance expectations and disciplinary core ideas in ESS1: Earth’s Place in the Universe.
The lesson plan includes a summary, a list of resources, learning outcomes, the NGSS alignment for the lesson, lesson procedures, one Science Literacy Activity. The lesson plan also includes a discussion question and sample responses, assessment questions and an answer key.
Upon completion of this lesson, students will be able to:
• Explain why supernovae are difficult to detect in our Milky Way Galaxy.
• Describe a Type Ia supernova.
• Explain why scientists call Type Ia supernovae “standard candles.”
• Describe the nature of white dwarfs.
• Explain how a white dwarf can acquire enough material to become a Type Ia supernova.
• Describe the properties of Type II supernovae.
• Describe how the brightness of Type II supernovae change over time.
• Explain what can happen to the Earth if a star goes supernova at a distance of one light-year away from the Earth.
• Describe how distant supernovae can reach out to the Earth.
This lesson plan is also included in NGSS Earth and Space Science Lesson Plans MEGA BUNDLE - 50+ Turnkey Lesson Plans
. I will be adding new lesson plans and teaching resources to the MEGA BUNDLE. Purchase it now to receive all yet-to-be-added lesson plans and teaching resources for FREE. The price of the MEGA BUNDLE will increase as additional materials are added. Follow me to receive email notifications when new lesson plans and teaching resources are added. Notifications are sent via TpT Inbox.
Download this FREE Earth and Space Science lesson plan
to learn more about my lessons plans and teaching resources.
SAVE MORE by purchasing NGSS Earth and Space Science Lesson Plans BUNDLE #1 Astronomy as a Science
SAVE EVEN MORE by purchasing NGSS Earth and Space Science Lesson Plans MEGA BUNDLE - 50+ Turnkey Lesson Plans