NGSS Physical Science: "Light Wave Point" STEM Unit |1-PS4-2,-3,-4
Also included in
- This is my combo-pack for my popular Sound Wave Cove and Light Wave Point NGSS science units! Buy the combo pack and save on six weeks of science lesson plans! Or, purchase the complete NGSS 1 Bundle for more units and savings!! RELATED RESOURCE: • NGSS Grade 1 Bundle: Complete STEM Curriculum LPrice $21.60Original Price $24.00Save $2.40
- This bundle contains five immersive lesson plans plus an eventual engineering bonus pack aligned to the Next Generation Science Standard for first grade. Each lesson plan includes complete lesson plan instructions, interactive PowerPoint presentations, corresponding e-learning activity, labs, workshPrice $42.36Original Price $52.95Save $10.59
- This bundle is my best value for NGSS first grade. It contains an five immersive lesson plans aligned to the Next Generation Science Standard for first grade--plus all eight of my Biomimicry Discovery Cards (48 cards/8 biomes).ABOUT THE BIOMIMICRY DISCOVERY CARD KIT EXPANSION:Expand Trait MountainPrice $64.76Original Price $80.95Save $16.19
Explore Light Wave Point and discover the science behind light using this three-week unit!.
Three weeks’ worth of lesson plans are aligned to the first-grade Next Generation Science Standards for light waves and are appropriate for K-5.
View demo (with intro screens and a few sample interactions only) here.
☀ Lesson One: Do We Need Light to See?
Through class presentations, interactive multimedia explorers and hands-on labs, students will discover that light is required for objects to be seen.
The class will use an interactive science test explorer to design an experiment that tests whether light is needed to see and record their test design in a worksheet booklet.
They will create clay caves to illustrate their test findings and write about them in a three-panel display.
A Light Wave Show caps off this unit where students can demonstrate learning to the class, other classes or parents. The Light Wave Show is introduced at the end of this lesson with a Message in a Bottle that washes up along Light Wave Point.
☀ Lesson Two: Sources of Light
Light comes from both external and internal sources . In this lesson, students examine different images and determine the type of light source in each. They discover how glow sticks work and use a What Glows in the Dark Explorer to learn about many different types of bioluminescent life--like fireflies, glowworms, jellyfish and more!
Students complete this lesson by creating hanging glow-in-the-dark jellyfish to display in the classroom and by completing the third panel of the cave project started in Lesson One.
☀ Lesson Three: In a Beam of Light
Students explore what transparent, translucent, opaque and reflective materials are like through an interactive presentation, hands-on labs and worksheets. Then they learn about lighthouses and create their own lighthouse creation using each type of material. They write about their lighthouse and its material types on a display card.
☀ Lesson Four: Communicating with Light
People use technology to build useful light communication tools. From ancient beacon signals to Paul Revere's Ride, photographs, television, and computer monitors--light technology is always developing.
Students will engineer their own light technology solution to send messages in Light Wave Point.
ALSO INCLUDED IN:
Lesson plans combine a series of:
• engaging hands-on activities
• observation labs
• writing exercises
• art and engineering projects
• computer interactives
Interactives run on Flash and PowerPoint viewer. They are versatile enough to be used:
• On any computer with a classroom projector
• With a smart whiteboard (or interactive flipchart)
• On a PC in a homeschool setting
This is an excellent way to incorporate light science into your lesson plans!
★ Follow me! Click the star (★) beneath my STEM Roots store name above to be the first to know about freebies, new product listings and more!
All projects are aligned to Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). See preview file for lesson overview and standards alignment.
Keywords: coast, tidepools, ocean, cove, sound, wave, collaborate, collaborative, multisensory, vibration, glow-in-the-dark, bioluminescent, jellyfish, angler fish, glowworm, firefly, fireflies, glow worms, lantern fish, lanterns, beacon, signal lighthouse, vibrate, lightwave, resonance, NGSS 1-PS4-2, NGSS 1.PS4.2, NGSS 1-PS4-3, NGSS 1.PS4.3, NGSS 1-PS4-4, NGSS 1.PS4.4, NGSS K-2-ETS1-1, NGSS K-2-ETS1-2, NGSS K-2, ETS1.1, NGSS K-2-ETS1-2.